Place the pointer over the photo to read the caption. Click to enlarge.
Every year, the residents of the Community of municipalities honor the memory of those who fought and died for their freedom.
Among them, they do not forget the pilots who paid their tribe to our liberation.
Six pilots were members of the crew of a British Stirling: Flight Lieutenant (Captain and pilot) Fred Gribble, Flying Officer (Lieutenant) SF Yardley, Flying Officer (Lieutenant) AE Bothwell, Flight Sergeant (Warrant) HE Wootton, Flight Sergeant (Warrant) PC Goddard, Sergeant (Sgt) E Whitehead formed the crew of a Stirling Mk IV that belonged to the 196th Stirling squadron. The Stirling was a four-engine bomber that could carry 7,800 tons of bombs. On the morning of June 6, 1944, it was shot and fell on Cagny, north of the cemetery. Some men of the village gathered dismembered bodies of the six pilots. Carpenters made coffins and women gave sheets. These soldiers are still laying in Cagny cemetery where their memory is honored every year.
He is buried in the village cemetery.
In 2004, to commemorate the release of their village by the Coldstream Guards on 20 and 21 July 1944, and honor them, the inhabitants of Frénouville affixed a memorial stone on the church.
The first is dedicated to the Canadian Flying Officer Lorne Franklin Curry 421st Squadron. His Spitfire was shot June 15, 1944 in this area. He was 27 years old, he is buried in the Canadian cemetery of Cintheaux.
The second commemorates the liberation of the village on 14 August 1944 by the 43rd Wessex Infantry Division, 49th Infantry West Riding Division and 51st Highland Infantry Division.
During Operation Goodwood on 18 July 1944, at 7:30, the senior Canadian officer John Kalen took off with 11 other aircraft for operation on mortar positions at le Mesnil Frémentel (hamlet of Cagny). The target was reached at 7:45. When the plane plunged towards the lens, f/o Kalen was seen falling nose down, his plane burning at 3,000 feet (~ 1,000 meters) and explode. Two pieces of the plane were seen falling in flames in the centre of the target area. We believe the f/o Kalen died in the explosion. He was 23.
Every year since 1984, the people of Cagny honor the men of the British Guards Division who fought to liberate their village and their country, particularly those who have fallen in battle.
Some years, veterans and representatives of the five regiments of the Guards Division attend the ceremony.
Since 1984, a British flag is waving on Pirbright square, in the middle of the village. Pirbright was for a long time the home of the Guards. These celebrations are at the origin of twinning between Cagny and the village of Pirbright (Surrey).
Monuments dedicated to Warrant Officer Malaysian (Malaysia - Commonwealth) Henry Talalla the Royal Air Force. The one on the left was made in 1950 by his father at the bottom of a field in Moult, where his plane had crashed. The second, unveiled in 2004, is on the edge of the RD 43 on the commune of Airan. His Typhoon plane was shot down July 25, 1944 by fire from German artillery during the air attack on a group of panzers in Fontenay-le-Marmion. His body ejected from the plane had been buried by local Resistance. He was 24 years old, buried in the British Cemetery of Banneville-la-Campagne.
Near the church along the road. Poussy-la-Campagne, a monument is dedicated to Pilot Officer Peter Price, 609th Squadron of the Royal New Zealand Air Force, killed July 27, 1944, over Poussyla-Campagne. He was 20 years old. He is buried in the British Cemetery ofRanville.
On July 28, 1944 an American bomber B-26 nicknamed "Hitch Hiker", on a mission to destroy rail facilities and a bridge at Grosley over the river Risle, was shot down by German Flak of Mézidon and fell on Fierville-Bray. Three crew members died in the crash (Gunners Rowling and W. J. Culshaw and navigator Lemmon R) while the other three were taken prisoner (Pilot R. Clark, co-pilot G. Parker and gunner J. Sweren ). In 2005, the village inaugurated the monument with the last survivor, John Sweren. Meanwhile it commemorated its release on 15 August 1944 by the Gordon Highlanders commanded by Major Martin Lindsay.